It’s Derby Week!
April 27, 2009 § Leave a comment
This will change once post positions are decided on Wednesday, but here’s my current Top 10 list. I’m likely going to play a couple big exactas with a mix of my own personal favorites and my under-the-radar picks — like I Want Revenge + Chocolate Candy or Friesan Fire + Mr. Hot Stuff, but deciding all of that on Thursday once I know who’s lining up where. Not that it matters — as Big Brown proved last year — but I’m a little superstitious when it comes to the starting gate numbers.
1. I Want Revenge — I want to win my big bet, and I believe he’s the real deal.
2. Friesan Fire — Don’t care about the layoff, I’m pulling for Larry Jones.
3. Dunkirk — I had to put a gray in the top three.
4. Desert Party — I’ve been watching the footage over and over again, and he looks like a monster. (Throwing out stablemate Regal Ransom though, I don’t think he can go the distance.)
5. Pioneerof the Nile — He’s hot, but the dirt question worries me.
6. Hold Me Back — Probably outclassed, but he’s still my sentimental favorite.
7. General Quarters — Another sentimental favorite. Also, big money in a win here for me.
8. Win Willy — He could rebound.
9. Chocolate Candy — He moves beautifully, and something tells me he’s sitting on a big performance.
10. Mr. Hot Stuff — Same comment here as with Chocolate Candy … I sense he’s about to explode.
Who I think will finish dead last: Summer Bird.